Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 5...starting out a little rocky..

Dos was shaky this morning. Not in a chilled kind of way, but in a head-bobbing, shallow breathing kind of way. I felt her skin and it was cold to the touch. She didn't want to eat much.  I'm scared something is happening-she was doing so well yesterday, and now she seems to have regressed.  I wrapped her in a blanket that came straight out of the dryer and tucked her in.

Michael will be with her all day, in the case that she needs rushed somewhere-but I can't help but worry.

I'll update as soon as I know something :/


UPDATE: Dos has come out of whatever weird state she was in, for the most part. I came home on my lunch break and fed her and she ate with no issue, but she didn't go to the bathroom until about 9:30 this evening.


After some (more) extensive research, I made a grocery run for some "Dos Food".  I'm still going to be feeding her regular puppy food, but she does need an extra boost, and I figure, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this to the fullest extent that I can.  I got her some packets of salmon, chicken, beef stew chunks, beef broth, brown rice, oatmeal, yogurt, and a carton of eggs. Not only are all of these things soft, they are all nutritious and will give her the extra boost of proteins and vitamins that she needs....that, and I think that she deserves it.


I made her a mixture of chicken & yogurt overtop of some regular food, and she ate with as much gusto as she could muster(and it was easier to hide her antibiotic in there...she's gotten pretty good at finding it and eating around it).


I'm hoping this food helps her quicker than regular dog food can...or at least, alongside of regular dog food, can give her a little push.

She's relaxing on the porch now...she's exhausted from eating..
I'm really hoping she becomes healthy enough to endure the heartworm treatments, and soon...I've fallen so in love with her I don't know what I would do if she didn't make it.

I want her to have the chance to go swimming. I want her to have the chance to just curl up with the other dogs and sleep. I want her to be able to sniff around the yard and chase things and roll in things. I want her to experience a life she didn't know before, and not have to worry about whether or not she will have food and water. I want her to be out of pain. I want her to be a happy dog-and hopefully, someday, we will make it there.









27 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping her! Here's hoping she overcomes her medical issues soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're Dos' angel. She was obviously abused and neglected from her previous "jerks" (I can't even call them a family). If her heartworms are that bad (in which it sounds as if they are), she may not want to be too active or eat much if they're breaking up and dying. I have faith that she'll pull through and become an awesome family pet. She knows you're helping her. Some people can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a sweet, sweet baby. I know the HW makes breathing irregular and is causing her to move so slowly, but I'm just hoping we can get rid of them in time...

      Thanks for your well wishes:)

      Delete
  3. Thank you both:)

    I'm really hoping that's all it is, and that it's part of the healing process. I went home for a moment on my lunch break and she followed Michael out to go potty, so maybe it was a one-off thing, she seemed less bobble-headdy, still as lethargic this morning..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that she has you in her life. Hope you both have good luck in helping her heal, both physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's got to be exhausted. What with the neglect and the treatment. Its one thing to go through a disease of neglect but its another to go through that AND be treated for it. Dos has a lot going on, but we're all pulling and praying for her. She'll make it. We have the faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake, thanks for keeping up with Dos. I've seen ya 'round these parts watching her story.

      :)

      Delete
  6. Wow -- love the video. You are so wonderful for helping her so much. I think it's incredibly sweet that you pet her even at the risk of spreading her mange. If she's going to pull through this, it'll be from strength of will knowing she has something to live for. Thank you for giving her that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots and lots of rubber gloves for serious petting, but the vet said the mites are so far buried in her skin there's not a *huge* risk of them 'un-burrowing', and we should be ok. But we do have 4 other dogs, so we're super careful:)

      Thanks for your nice words!

      Delete
  7. I think it is just wonderful on what you are doing! I saw the post on Reddit and i've been following since. Even a couple of times a day to see if there are any updates. This story has just inspired me to really start thinking about working with animals in recovery. Very heart warming. Thank you for all the updates and posts, and I wish I could give the little girl a hug myself.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, wow! Thanks so much...this comment really made my insides fuzzy.

      It also has prompted me to think that maybe I could do this all the time, every day, and feel like Ive done something.


      Thanks so much:)

      Delete
  8. This is quite possibly the nicest thing I've seen in a long time. Every night before I go to bed I keep thinking 'Is Dos going to be okay?' And seeing that video helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me tear up! I do the same thing....I obsessively check on her...

      Thank you so much for caring about sweet Dos:)

      Delete
  9. Another Redditor who is now a dedicated Dos-fan.

    About the pills: I use Pill Pockets to give my pooch her pain killers. She became an expert at eating around her meds too, and now there's no problem. They're tiny little cups made of food that you put the pills in, and press the ends together to seal it. You can put them in her food, or give them as a treat. Works like a charm. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pill pockets! Yes! We use those at work (I work at a boarding/grooming/daycare facility) and I've thought about those but her pills are too big. I've resorted to just opening up the gel cap and sprinkling it on her food.

      Thank you for coming from Reddit. I would totally give everyone on Reddit a huge hug for helping Dos and getting her story out there.

      <3

      Delete
  10. What the **** did those previous people do to her/Him?poor baby we hope she gets well soon,xx Speedy and mum
    P.S Sorry people who mistreat animals make me cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, if I ever see them again, not only will I be sure to follow them to where they live and see how many other animals they are mistreating, I will be taking a team with me! I'm sure I'll never see them again,LUCKY FOR THEM.

      Delete
  11. I am sharing a link to a recipe for satin balls, we use these especially with our skinny rescue/foster dogs as it puts weight on fast, but it is a good healthy supplement for them as well. They can be frozen and thawed and should be easy for her to eat. thanks for taking in this sweet soul, so glad I found this blog and can't wait to see the transformation!
    http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS AWESOME! I will be making these this afternoon! Thank you so so so much!!!

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for the kindness and love you are showing this poor girl. I am keeping Dos in my thoughts and prayers and am looking forward to reading about many more milestones and successes in her story of survival! I am already looking forward to seeing pictures of Dos with a new set of fur, being happy and healthy, while playing with her 4 new siblings! You can do it Dos! And thank you again for being the epitome of love and selflessness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you well wishes for Dos.

      I also can't wait for her fur to grow back and for her to be a normal, happy doggy.

      As for the siblings, they havent even even tried to sniff her until yesterday when Walter, our big, lovable doofy newfie mix snuck up behind her to sniff her..and she howled! Walter is a bit 'in-your-face', though, and I think she could tell that...;)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the video update and for helping Dos. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:)

      I think Dos' story could help a lot of doggies out there...

      Delete
  14. I am loving this story and praying for both of y'all! Thank you for what you're doing for her. I love seeing her updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I'll be posting her progress daily!

      Delete