Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 12...Emergency Vet Visit







Today, Dos had a cough. A dry, strained, painful sounding cough. I kept thinking perhaps she was just trying to cough something up and I kept an eye on her...but as the day progressed, it got worse.


I e-mailed the APA Medical Team with my concerns. They are super busy throughout the day, so I contacted their foster co-ordinator for some direction. She got ahold of them and they contacted me immediately and asked about her condition.


With heartworms, a cough can be bad, bad news-so they told me to come in right away.

By the time I made it there, they were closed...but they took her inside and did an exam and the doctor asked a lot of questions and spent a long time sitting on the floor with her listening to her heart and lungs.

The vet reassessed her..looked at her teeth...gave her a twice-over...and said she probably wasn't five...and there is a bit of time before the heartworms entirely take over-and she should get the treatment before then...because...She is probably only three.

She prescribed her some kennel cough medicine, in case the bordatella was administered before she showed symptoms but was still infected, some cough tablets, and some special shampoo to clear her hair folicles(which was unrelated to the cough) she said it would help any irritation left and also take the smell away...because she still does smell very yeasty/bacterial, even with all the treatments and baths.




She was thorough, she was problem solving, she was productive. She is seriously one of the best vets I have ever met..and I wish I could remember her name..in everything that was going on, her name slipped my mind..but when I find out, I'm going to send her flowers.




Dos came home with a slew of new meds, and a little treat from their lobby..and a better prognosis than before.


Oh...and, she is passing tapeworms now, the the wormer is working...which...is both gross and awesome...one ailment cured at a time, right? :)


It's easier to hide the medicine when it's chicken flavored


On another note, she has become very attached to us, and wants to follow us around and sit next to us all the time..she's learning to love and be loved in return.







23 comments:

  1. Totally freaked me out. Thank goodness she is doing better than OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a stressful afternoon to say the least. to go in there with feelings of dread and walking out relieved.. whew.

      Delete
  2. Stay strong! I hope she gets to feeling better soon. Crazy to think she's only three!!! Still a pup. And to think the other people thought she was too old.... So sad. When I talk about my animals, I always say my family. So glad she's learning how to be apart of a loving family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the owners thought she was too old. She just LOOKS old due to the illnesses they caused, and I think they were trying to avoid getting hit with an animal abuse charge.:/


      Love to you and your family:)

      Delete
  3. I've been following Dos' story since APA first posted it. You're doing an amazing job, and Dos looks so much better already. Thank you for giving us updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. APA is a wonderful thing. I'm so so sooo glad they are helping her so much.


      Delete
  4. I've been so worried. Thank you for the posting and the loving care. Here's hoping today's a much better day, for Dos, AND for her new family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping! Today was a day filled with drowsy meds..but treats perked her right up this morning, so it was a good start!

      Delete
  5. Wow... only 3 and she's been through so much. It tears at my heart. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when the first vet said 5 years, I felt like that was crazy for her to have gone through so much. For her to be even younger...wow. at least she will have more time to live a normal life:)

      Delete
  6. Wow, only three...stay strong DOS, woooos have a lot of people pulling for you!

    RA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share the same sentiment as everyone else that she's only THREE?! That's even worse to think about how much she's endured in her even shorter life. Seriously, I hope something terrible happens to her previous "owners". The only thing they need to own up to is how they neglected this sweet dog. I know your intentions were to adopt her out originally, but after all you're doing and have done for her, I think you might have a new member in your family. It'd be super hard for ME to give her up after all I put into bringing her up, and just looking at those eyes shows she's got nothing but love to give to those who are willing to love her. Sweet baby, keep fighting, Dos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're attached now..:)


      THanks for always keeping up, Jake:)

      Delete
  8. I just entered a "name it to win it" contest on the Lucky Fiona Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/196547663723261) to get a collar for Dos... the name I suggested was the Tic Tac Dos, and I told the folks there that if I win it, not only will I give the collar to Dos but I'll make a per-collar donation to Dos' care via the Austin Pets Alive fund on however many are sold. (Doesn't "a dollar a collar" sound like a great slogan? I have to see what my budget guy says about that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing! What a sweet sweet sweet gesture.

      So glad people are spreading the love.

      <3

      Delete
  9. I've been following your blog thanks to reddit. I know I'm just some random internet stranger, but from the bottom of my heart I want thank you for caring for Dos. And thank you for all the updates, please keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading her updates.


      and, for coming from Reddit<3

      Delete
  10. It's a process..but when she put her head on my leg and follows me to the kitchen, I know she's slowly learning family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say, reading this blog is a highlight of my day every day. Thank you so much for doing all of this for Dos -- I am a huge dog lover and I can honestly say I'm not sure I would have been able to. So glad to hear that once all this clears up, only-three-year-old Dos will have so much life and love ahead of her! Go, Dos, go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear Dos' story brings happiness to your day!


      Thanks for your love for Ms. Dos!

      Delete
  12. Can't wait for Dos to be happy, healthy and strong and see a "family" picture of all of you together and on a talk show!!! :) You have a GOLDEN Throne waiting for you in heaven with a DOS bed sitting beside it! :) WIll watch for further updates *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness.

      I feel like Dos could have her own talk show-I'm sure she would have a LOT to say.

      Family picture coming soon, hopefully!

      Delete