Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 33!

Dos' favorite day of the week! Dog food making day! After work, I came home to a wagging tail at the door. Five wagging tails, really, but Dos acts as if she hasn't seen me for years. She does this if I go outside for too long, too. 

Dos spent the next two hours with her eyes glued to me in the kitchen, next to the oven where she could smell her food cooking. 

During the grueling fifteen or so minutes it took for it to cool in her bowl, she stared at the table where it was.

Dos has had no training, or so it appears..and that doesn't surprise me in the least. (Anyone who lets their dog get that bad health wise obviously doesn't spend much time thinking about or caring about their dog) . She also is quite the scavenger. It's almost like having a puppy in the house, having to puppy-proof everything again. We haven't had to do that for so long, it's easy to forget that a dog who is likely used to only eating scrap food or scouring the floor for anything edible may not have a second thought about getting into things. 

Part of Dos' rehab is learning boundaries and the rules within her new pack-no getting in the trash, no taking things off tables, no eating an entire roll of toilet paper, no matter how delicious it looks. (She went straight after the toilet paper when I brought groceries home the other day, taking a roll and trotting off with it.)

So, while the food was cooling, I watched her, making sure to tell her NO each time she edged her little face up to the table or tried to climb up one of the kitchen chairs. I have to be very careful the way I tell her no, as she is very sensitive to any form of scolding.  Thankfully, gently setting her paws back down on the floor and telling her "no" in a quiet firm voice did the trick. After a few minutes, she patiently waited without trying to grab it off the table.

And when she finally got her dinner, she grunted and slobbered happily like a piggy.

Dos food: chicken, beef, salmon, brown rice, carrots, liver, a spoonful of peanut butter, a spoonful of yogurt, a fish oil pill, and egg-shell calcium powder.

I've never seen a dog so happy to eat!

(I'm going to delete some pictures from my phone tonight, so I can have room for more Dos pictures-sorry its only her dinner tonight..but I thought the "Dos eye view" would show you why she is so happy :)


1 comment:

  1. My rescue guy is the same--boundary issues and heartbroken if scolded. What I do with him is correct with an "ah-ah!" or a "no!" to grab his attention and make him stop and then praise when he stops. It's worked WONDERFULLY. Obviously it's baby steps as far as behaviors but his heartbroken meltdowns are fewer and farther between.

    ReplyDelete