Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 34-why canned pumpkin is your friend

Today is going to be graphic.

Today I learned that Dos cannot have certain kinds of treats. 

I was working on "sit" with her, and popped her about 10 of these little, bitty treats. I was out of homemade treats, and out of the "sensitive stomach treats" That Dos got before....so i used the "normal" training treats. tiny, minuscule treats. What happened afterwards was quite the opposite.

Dos had the worst case of doggie diarrhea I have ever seen. 
I'm talking middle of the living room then dragging it around and possibly rolling in it kind of diarrhea. I had just fallen asleep, sleeping out on the couch because she had started coughing again and I wanted to keep an eye on her-when I was jolted awake by the smell of horror. It looked like a mudslide in my living room. And kitchen ...and Dos looked like she had taken a loooong slide...with her back.


After taking her outside, cleaning her up and the house like crazy- she drank some water and curled up and fell asleep. 

Dogs get diarrhea for odd reasons, and usually it isn't long term or super serious, so I chalked it up to the treats irritating her stomach and once I was sure she was asleep I fell back asleep too. 


Until it happened again, and again, and once I was sure it was over, Michael came home and I woke up to him slipping on some.


And a trip to the store it was-canned pumpkin. Not pie filling- pure pumpkin. 
That is a dog with an upset tummy's best friend.  Shortly thereafter, everything was fine, and after a couple quick trips to the yard for the "runoff", things went back to normal and Dos will now be getting pumpkin for a treat, instead of store bought treats. 


Ill save everyone the agony by not including any pictures today...


And now I'm craving pie.

3 comments:

  1. I have been using a new pumpkin product for my pup who has lots of GI issues called Firm Up. Its pricey but a little goes a long way and it can be sprinkled on top of food. It seems to work really well and is easier to travel with than cans of pumpkin!
    http://www.amazon.com/Diggin-Your-Dog-Supplement-Digestive/dp/B006CBD7UQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no clue pumpkin was good for an upset tummy! I'll definitely be getting some next time I'm in the store and keep it on hand. My dog has occasional bouts of upset tummy, usually only if someone drops some exotic food and she snatches it before I can say "Leave it!" She's too darn fast sometimes! Her last bout was after she snatched the teeny tiniest bite of funnel cake. That was a rough night!

    Glad Dos is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete