Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 40-Spay day....

I woke up on the morning of Dos' spay in an absolute panic. 

I've had animals fixed a lot of times-but being as she's so vulnerable physically still, I was worried sick.

After getting her into the car, which of course is a whole adventure in itself-she crawled into the front seat, as she insists on riding shotgun.
                    Backseat refusal.


I petted her and talked to her the whole way there. She was coughing a lot in the car- and I knew it was something to be concerned about because of the heartworms.

We arrived at APA and Dos hopped out of the car, excited to smell all the exciting doggy smells around her. 

Once inside, they asked about her cough. They said that the vet would have to examine her to see if it was safe to put her under the anesthetic, and that they would let me know what their decision was.

She went with them willingly, and I left.

I cried like a baby the whole way to work. I didn't like leaving her, and I was so worried about the possibility of her cough being a terrible indicator of her health.

Around 2pm, I got an email, saying that they needed to wait, that there was too great a risk to put her under. 

I was relieved and scared. I didn't know that her heartworms were that bad as to make her congested.

I rushed to he her after work, and the APA staff told me that she had been good, and had also taken the most giant doggy dump of the day.

They are going to prescribe her some cough suppressants to see if that helps. If it does, he cough may not be due to the heartworms at all.

So, it's back to the drawing board, butI'm  glad they were looking out for our girl:)

No comments:

Post a Comment