Thursday, September 26, 2013

PREHEARTWORM APPOINTMENT.

I arrived back in town today, early early early in the morning. When I walked in, Dos was asleep, and it took her a few moments to realize I was back, and she lost her little pigwalrussy mind. She acted like I had been gone her whole life (and I guess, up until 2 months ago, I was). 


After our happy reunion, I had to go straight to work-and Michael had to take her to her preheartworm appointment at APA! 

He gave me the rundown: 

She weighs 65 pound, the vets are happy with how she's recovering, and she will be taking a round of doxycycline for 3 weeks, 2 times per day-and then she will get her 'official' heartworm treatments.


Here's how the heartworm treatments work:


The doxycycline basically an antibiotic that kills a parasite called "wolbachia" that can live in the heartworms themselves. After the doxycycline regimen is finished, she will go back to the vet to get a physical exam to clear her for the next step, and then she'll be put on a steroid for the next two days before the treatment and then throughout the first part of the heartworm treatment.  The heartworm treatment is injected deep into the muscle tissue, a medicine which kills the heartworms. The dead worms exit the heart, and therefore she is going to need to be on doggy bedrest for a month-where her heartrate will have to be kept low so there won't be any complications while the dead heartworms leave her heart. 

So, that will be a while of keeping her still, no walks, no excitement, and lots and lots of cuddling.

The treatments go deep into the muscle, so she will be on some painkillers-hopefully they will keep her slightly sedated, so we can be sure she is resting properly.

It's 3 weeks away and Im nervous and excited. I can't wait for my girl to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment