Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 65-DOWN THE HATCH, DOS!

Getting the doxycycline into Dos' throat is not the easiest of tasks. She's, as you all know, the most stubborn pigwalrus ever to live. The medicine needs to be administered about 1/2 an hour after eating, so after she ate breakfast this morning...I got the medicine ready, and called her over to me. She wagged her tail and sat down, ready for pets.-which she got, and then, as quickly as possible, I opened her jaw up and squirted the medicine in the back of her throat. She made a noise like a half empty shampoo bottle makes when you squeeze it, and tried to back away as quickly as possible. I administer medicine like this all the time at work, so I was prepared for the 'backlash'. I hugged her around her body, and held her head up, rubbing her throat to get her to swallow the medicine. Once I was sure it was all down, I let her go, and petted her and petted her...she looked at me with such a baffled look on her face...I gave her something and it wasn't a treat...and I wouldn't let her go until she had it all!

I've given her medicine in so many things, but this I have to give her after she ate..


This evening though, she knew it was coming. I went for the mouth and she did her famous stop drop and roll, and moved her head around so I couldnt get it. Finally, I had to trick her into it...I cradled her head like a baby and then when she relaxed a bit...I went for the goal and got it down her throat. She stared at me, motionless for thirty seconds and then went and sulked in her crate.

This is going to be a long three weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Try wrapping the pills in cheese and she will eat them on her own

    ReplyDelete