Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 39-the dreaded nail clipping.

If you have ever seen a hummingbird in action, or perhaps if you can imagine what a howler monkey  with rabies might be like, that is Dos getting her nails clipped. 

She wouldn't even agree to a belly rub while I had the clippers on hand.

After an hour of trying various ways to sneak up on her, bribe her, distract her, and just go in for the kill and grab her paws, I decided it was time to seek professional help.

I've blogged about my friend Nora before. She is known as "The Fur Whisperer" and for a good reason. She can groom ANYTHING.

I enlisted her help, and explained my tactics. She said, sure, bring her in, and that she would squeeze it in between grooms. I didn't think that she could "squeeze it in". I thought I'd have to schedule an 8 hour block.

Lo and behold, less than five minutes, she had Dos' nails trimmed, with not so much as a squirm. 

I really don't know how she does it.

Nooo, Dos, we are totally jut going for a ride. No nail clippings here!


I wish I had whatever it is that Nora has-she's seriously amazing.  But, sometimes you have to leave it to the professionals. Dos is still eyeing me.

1 comment:

  1. We recently found a solution that allows us to cut Tippy's nails. We wrap her up in a pair of blue jeans with her back half jammed down into one of the legs (who knew being fat would be such a handy thing?) and her front half wrapped up with only her head and one paw sticking out.

    She's got no leverage this way and no where to yank her foot away, even though she tries really hard. It was still a struggle, but there was way less blood drawn (ours) and way less yelping (hers and ours). We did end up having to crate our other dog, Pixie, because Pixie was very distressed that we were upsetting her dog. I think poor Pix was almost as upset that we had Tippy bundled up as Tippy was.

    Dog bundling worked great for us! (Well, it worked great this time. Tippy is clever and I don't doubt she'll figure out a way to beat us.)

    ReplyDelete